Monday, September 22, 2008

Reset Button

This is a small, easy to read book by singer Rebecca St. James about sexual purity. I wish I had read this many years ago!

St. James writes of an old hair dryer which she has. She loves it because it blows her hair just perfectly, not too lightly and not too strongly. But, because the hair dryer is so old, she has to hit the "Reset" button every time she uses it. If she doesn't hit the "Reset" button, the machine does nothing but take up space in her bathroom.

St. James draws an analogy between her hair dryer and our thought patterns. We have to hit a "Reset" button periodically in order to reprogram our minds from the world's views to God's views. If not, we will be useless and unable to accomplish anything for meaningful. We need to do this every day, sometimes several times a day.

I wish that changing my thinking were as easy as pushing a "Reset" button! The first step is for me to know God's word so well that I can discern worldly thoughts from Godly thoughts. The next step is daily (or hourly) self accountability.

No comments: