Saturday, December 27, 2008

An Attractive Offer

"Forgiveness, peace, purpose, guidance - those are attractive offers in any one's book."

Why did I become a Christian? What attracted me to the faith? Of course I always considered myself a Christian because of how I was raised. But I didn't put a lot of thought into it until I was in college. I think I was mentored by some wise people, because I seem to remember being taught the responsibility of being a Christian at the same time as I understood the benefits of being a Christian. I was never evangelized by promises of what God can give me.

Maybe because I was in college, my introduction to Christianity was fairly intellectual and not based on emotions. I learned a lot in my head about Jesus before I learned a lot in my heart about Jesus. I think it is only in the last few years, while dealing with my daughter's health issues, that I have learned in my heart some of the Christian principles I have always known intellectually. Nothing teaches you the sovereignty of God more clearly than your two year old having inoperable cancer. I have learned the value of fellowship firsthand.

The above statement seemed ludicrous to me because it was not how I became a Christian, but I can see how a new believe could be enticed by those promises. I am so glad I was mentored well and hope that I can mentor others as well. I don't consider myself a teacher at all, but some times God puts us in places that we do not choose. I want people to understand that worshiping God is a two way street - He may give us forgiveness, peace, purpose, and guidance. We have to give him trust, obedience, and love.

This post was inspired by the book Simply Jesus and You by Joseph Stowell.

No comments: