Thursday, May 7, 2009

Seriously Disturbed

I picked up this book because of its author: Kay Warren. Wife of Rick Warren. Like everyone else, I have read the Purpose Driven Life and am quite familiar with Rick Warren. But I knew nothing about his wife. Intrigued, I borrowed the book from the library.

Once I started reading, I learned that God had spoken to Kay Warren at some point and jolted her out of her upper middle class suburban life and told her to advocate for AIDS and HIV orphans in Africa, as well as in the U.S. She wrote that once God spoke to her, she began to research the issue. She became, as she calls it, "seriously disturbed."

She writes that once she became knowledgeable about the issue, she could not ignore it. She could never face God and tell Him that she knew about AIDS orphans in Africa and chose to ignore it. She had to act. God had moved her heart to the point where she had to act.

What am I seriously disturbed about? Of course pediatric cancer and children born with medical challenges (I refuse to use the horrific term "birth defect" - God did not make my daughter defective. He gave her some medical challenges while she was in the womb. I have corrected many physicians over the last few years when they tell me Catherine has a "birth defect."). Many of those children are ignored or abandoned, which of course breaks my heart. Many of the parents are overwhelmed and need lots of support to get through it. I see those needs, but I can't say I am "seriously disturbed." I do not lay awake at night thinking about these children.

I need to put some thought into what seriously disturbs me.

This post is inspired by the book Dangerous Surrender by Kay Warren.

No comments: