Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why God Made Us

Every day I wonder why God does what He does about the little things in my life. But sometimes I wonder why God does what He does in a more theological sense. For example, why did God make people? Why did he make us so imperfect, knowing we would commit evil acts? Why just make a beautiful planet with sunsets, mountains, waterfalls, birds and flowers? Are people really necessary?

Leave it to C.S. Lewis to answer that question by giving me a whole new perspective. Lewis said:
"God, who needs nothing, loves into existence wholly superfluous creatures in order that He may love and perfect them."

How right Lewis is. God does not need me. I am superfluous. Unnecessary.

But God created me so that He could "love me and perfect me." I am created for His love, for God to lavish His blessings on. And for God to "perfect" me, through His shaping me.

This post was inspired by the book "Love Beyond Reason" by John Ortberg.

No comments: