Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fresh Brewed Life

I first learned of Nicole Johnson at a women's conference I attended.  She performed as a "dramatist" and was fantastic.  I have read several of her books since and recently read Fresh Brewed Life by her.
Here are some notes I took from that book:

- The movie Mrs. Doubtfire can be seen as the retelling of the gospel.  A father (God) is only able to be with his children once a week due to divorce.  Unsatisfied with that little amount of time, the father disguises himself as a servant to work as the children's nanny. 
- You should listen to your longings, not run from them.  They may be God speaking to you.
- "I didn't need people to tell me what colors I look best in as much as I needed people who gave me reasons to wear happy colors instead of sad ones."
- It is important not to criticize ourselves in front of our daughters.  If we are unhappy with our appearance and model self hatred for our children, they will follow in our footsteps.
- We should celebrate birthdays as a way of saying "I am glad you were born."
- Lee Iacocoa said "I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who can't seem to control their own schedules.  Over the years I've had many executives come to me and say with pride 'Boy, last year I worked so hard that I didn't take any vacation.' It's actually nothing to be proud of.  I always feel like responding, 'You dummy.  You mean to tell me that you can take responsibility for an $80 million project, and you can't plan two weeks out of the year to go off with your family and have some fun?"
- There are two deep questions: "If you died tonight do you know where you would spend eternity" and "If you woke up tomorrow do you know how you will spend the rest of your life?"

No comments: