Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What's My Goliath?

Max Lucado's book focusing on the David and Goliath story. Lucado remains one of my favorite writers!! He does such an excellent job of describing a moment so well - he squeezes so much meaning out of seemingly insignificant details.

Lucado asks what my "Goliath" is. I do not fight an actual giant. Instead, I face my own battles: maintaining a hopeful, joyous heart in the midst of my daughter's medical challenges, balancing the many demands on my time and energy appropriately, refraining from judging others, and taking care of my own health. Of course I have other battles; these are just the ones that immediately came to my mind.

Lucado then differentiates David from the world. All the bystanders focus on Goliath and his massive strength. David focuses on God. David actually announces that God will deliver him from Goliath. Lucado points out that David spends very little time focusing on Goliath. However, he spends a lot of time thinking about God and talking about God.

Do I spend more time thinking about my battles or about God? The answer is a sad "battles." I am sad to say that there are days when I don't think about God at all. I doubt an hour goes by without my thinking about all the troubles I face. I may not talk about my troubles a lot, but I do think about them a lot in their various forms - guilt, shame, worry, self pity, etc. These are my "giants."

1 comment:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I love Max Lucado. When I grow up, I want to write like he does. :-) I've been reading "Next Door Savior" and as soon as I'm done with it, I've got "3:16" waiting for me.