Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Silent Prayer

Praise, McHenry writes, is the forgotten prayer. We take things for granted and don't thank God for who He is and what He has done. She suggests we praise him for His creation, for the beautiful mountains, etc. I always feel silly praising God for trees and mountains. I guess I take all that for granted and it just doesn't seem personal enough for me to really care about.

McHenry writes of silent, reverential prayer. This is not prayer where she is listening for God to tell her something. Instead, she is in silent awe of God, just adoring Him. I wonder how my Type A personality can do this. Can I really not focus on a list of needs or on some spiritual topic for a significant amount of time? I have tried meditation but have never been successful. I have never been able to empty my mind - even for just a few minutes. This silent, reverential prayer seems a lot like meditation to me.

No comments: