Saturday, February 14, 2009

Broken Traffic Light

When I approach an intersection with a broken or flashing traffic light, I have to stop and rely on the rules I learned in the driver's education class I took in high school. Hopefully, the other driver's in the intersection were taught the same rules I was. Who goes first? Who waits? If we all drove into the intersection first, and no one yielded to anyone else, than chaos and a collision will likely occur.

The Wilsons indicate that submission in a marriage has a similar role to a traffic light. It tells the spouses who makes decisions and who yields to decisions.

I remember my pastor Bryant Wright (of Johnson Ferry Baptist Church) explaining that he was the CEO of their marriage, making all the major decisions, and his wife was the COO of the marriage, making all of the day-to-day operating decisions.

I love that analogy, perhaps because it makes me feel like I have an important role. So many times when I think of submission in a marriage I think of a wife being lesser than the husband. I think of the husband telling me what to do and me obeying without question. The very thought of that type of "submission" makes me cringe.

But when I think of submission as more of a division of labor, I can accept it. I can let Robby make decisions about our finances, church choice, children, etc. He picked out our new television. I don't even understand what a "megahertz" is and why we need it in a television. I can trust that he has researched the options and made a good deal.

Likewise, Robby doesn't involve himself in a lot of the decisions I make. How to organize the toy room. What the children will wear each day. When laundry will be done. What's for dinner. Etc.

I pray that I will continue to submit to Robby's authority in our home. Not as a slave, but as a wife. God, help me with this one!

2 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Great post. I like the analogy of the CEO & COO. I used to have a great deal of trouble with the idea of submission, but, like you, I've learned it's more a division of labor. And I also think it helps a great deal when the husband treats his wife respectfully in his decisions as well, rather than an authoritarian sort of rule. At least, it makes this sometimes headstrong gal much more willing to submit!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great book. I know we've talked about this before, and it seems like this book gave you some clarity and insight.