Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hardwired Behavior

Animal trainers know that some behaviors are so hardwired, they cannot be changed. Badgers dig. Geese migrate. It would be a waste of time to try to train a cat not to lick his paws. Try teaching a dog not to sniff the ground looking for other animals' scents.

What behaviors in my spouse are so hardwired I cannot change them? Robby is in love with technology. His jobs have always centered around technology - for years he worked in the video & television ministry of a church and now he works with computers. I have no patience with learning new technology and find pen & pencil more effective much of the time. I frequently debate whether a new SOMETHING is worth the money. Robby frequently debates which new SOMETHING he should buy and which new SOMETHING our friends have.

It would be a waste of time for me to try to break Robby of this habit. I don't think he could remove my reading or scrapbook habits. I just have to learn to accept it (and budget for it).

This post was inspired by the book "What Shamu Taught me about Life, Love and Marriage" by Amy Sutherland.

No comments: