Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Going Deep

"Reading several dozen fill-in-the-blanks self-help manuals, we talk ourselves into a spiritual reputation we have never really earned. We continue to live on the surface, only talking of the deeper life."

The above two sentences appeared on the first page of this book, humbling me already. Do I have a "spiritual reputation" because of a bunch of fill-in-the-blank bible studies I have done? I certainly do not have a spiritual reputation among other people, but I think I have convinced myself that I do, simply because of the number of bible studies I have completed.

I always feel so much pride when I nail all the questions in a Bible category on Jeopardy. Why? God doesn't care about the extent of my Biblical knowledge. He wants me to feel and really experience Him. He wants me to go deep with Him.

This post is inspired by the book Into the Depths of God by Calvin Miller.

No comments: