Sunday, January 31, 2010

Poverty and Generosity

I don;t normally link poverty with having generosity (maybe receiving generosity, but not having it). But, Paul writes of people who, despite apparently significant poverty, begged to be able to give:

2Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints.

2 Corinthians 8:2-4 (New International Version)

As Robby and I have been addressing unemployment, reduced income, family budgeting, etc. over the last year I have wondered if we have enough money for what we need. We have continued to tithe, but there have been times when I have thought that instead of tithing, we could use that money for something else.

I wish I considered giving a "privilege to share in this service to the saints." Instead, I think of it as a bill, an obligation. I know that I am blessed that I can write a check to tithe. I know that I will be fine with 90% of my income. I know there are people all over the world who are truly needy and that I have unspeakable wealth in comparison. I know I am among the "privileged" of the world. I wish I felt joy in giving. I know God will change my attitude in His timing.

This post was inspired by the book "The Treasure Principle" by Randy Alcorn.

No comments: