Friday, October 14, 2011

Obedience v. Worship

I love the parent-child analogy to illustrate my relationship with God.  It is such a fabulous way to show how we should behave toward God.  Calvin Miller uses the parent-child analogy to illustrate the difference between obedience and worship:
"When my son was a boy, I used to say to him, "Son, take out the trash!"  And he did!  That's how we show our love and respect - by being obedient."  But suppose at my command he had replied "Oh, Dad, you are so beautiful and resplendent, I want to just sit here and contemplate your wisdom and power."

As a mother, I would in the heat of the moment flip if my kids reacted like the boy in the example.  Yet, how often do I worship God instead of obey Him?  Worship is fun; it is so easy to sing songs during a church service.  Obedience is much harder and sometimes not fun.   I have to take the time and make the effort to listen to God, then I have to do what He tells me. 

This post is inspired by the book Into the Depths of God by Calvin Miller.

No comments: