Monday, September 15, 2008

Difficult People

This chapter is about difficult in-laws. In my own life, my husband's mother died before we met and his parents' divorce resulted in his father having no contact with him. So, I have no relationship, good or bad, with his parents. His extended family have always been kind and loving to us, but we are not very close to them.

But, I have known difficult people in my life. All of us have. Meberg writes that some of these people have unteachable spirits and all we can do is treat them with as much love as we can. She writes that God has to soften their hearts; we can't do that for them.

If only I can adopt this mind set every time I deal with difficult people! I should remember that every person has a history that I do not know. That person's history may have been abusive or horrific. I have no idea. I can't change them - all I can do is pray for God to soften their hearts.

Gal. 5:22-23 describes the wonderful change which occurs inside of us: "When the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control."

I shudder when I think of all the time and energy I have wasted trying to change other people. Or trying to analyze someone else's behavior. Or being upset because of some one's conduct. If only I would back off and let God change them!

No comments: