Saturday, January 3, 2009

Turtle on a Fence Post

Joseph Stowell refers to a book a friend of his wrote called "Turtle on a Fence Post." The book is apparently about one man's climb up the ladder of success. He chose that title because he knew that he did not make that climb on his own, just like a turtle sitting on top of a fence post. No turtle (except perhaps in a Disney movie) could ever climb a fence post by himself. The author knew that some other being helped him get where he is - just as a turtle requires help to get on top of a fence post.

For a turtle, any person can come along and lift the turtle onto a fence post - even a child. But for me, I need the divine assistance which only God can provide. I know that I am just a split second from a fatal accident. Two of my children died in the womb, not even surviving the first trimester. Any of us could be in the wrong convenience store when an armed robbery occurs. Or on the wrong plane.

The fact that I am alive, healthy, etc. is all because of God. He gave me my health, my abilities. He gave me my husband. My children. So many things that are completely out of my control have occurred - all because of God choosing to bless me. It gives me chills just thinking about it!

This post was inspired by the book Simply Jesus and You by Joseph Stowell.

No comments: